A vacant, preoccupied stare has become my normal face. As I walk around my house, I have a constant mental tally going of what to do. The list grows and divides like cells splitting, branching off into the “Go to Home Depot”, “Pack for Storage”, “We Will/Won’t Need That”, and “That’ll Work for Staging” departments. Branches are subject to split and multiply at any time, and I seem incapable of carrying on a conversation, since my brain is always “listing” my next to-do.
T-minus two weeks until MLS Listing…
So far, here is an abbreviated list of what we have to do:
- Pack the whole house, leaving only the nicest, barest furnishings for staging.
- Paint the living room, hallway and touch up the bedrooms. Paint the laundry room, and touch up the kitchen.
- Drapes: do I leave them or do they stay? Aaagh.
- Pack the closets, kitchen, bathroom, and food storage. Food storage… ugh. Good idea, bad moving fun.
- Mooch around friends and see if I can get a couple of good table lamps and maybe some end-tables.
- Wash all the windows, inside and out.
- Repair a few cracks from snow and ice on our front walk.
- Curb appeal the front step and entry- paint, flowers in pots.
- New baseboards in the downstairs bathroom.
- Replace the little sprayer thingy on the kitchen sink; the kids broke it.
- Go through all the gazillion toys and figure out what to donate, what to pack, and what to 86.
- Pack office, sewing room and guest room, swapping out queen bed from guest room to master bedroom, and putting our king bed in storage, all in an attempt to make our rooms look larger.
- Fix downspout on back of house that came loose.
- Empty garage. Ugh.
- Find a home for the two+ cords of wood we bought this winter, all nicely stacked beside the garage. Anyone need wood? Aged and split. You haul.
- Get pretty new fancy towels for the bathrooms and threaten kids’ lives if they wipe peanut-butter hands on them. Or even breathe on them.
- Get new handle for the storm door. Old one broke. Yay.
- Shampoo downstairs carpets.
- Trim trees, shrubs and plant new flowers in the beds, along with some beauty bark.
- With a toothbrush, bleach and a magnifying glass, clean the entire house, not forgetting the oven, dishwasher, every inch of both bathrooms, fridge, and toilets.
- Oh, and someone said I’m supposed to bake cookies to make the house smell good. Yeah. Sure. That’s gonna happen.
Feel free to torment me and add anything you think I may have forgotten. Rest assured, this list has already split and multiplied in my head, much like bad mutant DNA.
Uh, it may be a few days again before I check in. *Holy crap*