Yeah, so, um, sorry about the hissy-fit the other day. Nothings changed, but my attitude is better again. This roller coaster, I swear. So to make it all better, here’s a Make-Up Recipe. The best kind, you know…
This is the best tomato-basil soup you will ever eat, and it’s easy-peasy. It’s from a local restaurant, and I can’t tell you how I got it, but you’re welcome. Someday when I have a camera again, maybe I’ll be as cool as Ree and take pictures while I actually make it. Go ahead and hold your breath on that one, K?
Tomato Basil Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 16 oz. can chicken broth
- 1 16 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 16 oz. can crushed toms in puree
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups half and half
- fresh basil to garnish
- shredded mozzarella to garnish
- Melt butter over med-low heat in a soup pot. Add flour and simmer the flour for a few minutes, but do not brown.
- Add chicken broth and bring back to simmer. Cook
- Add tomatoes and sauce, as well as dried basil, salt and pepper. Cook for about 30 minutes on low heat for flavors to meld well.
- Remove from heat and add half and half. If you want to keep the calories under control, you can substitute evaporated milk and it will still taste good.
- Serve topped with chiffonade of basil and some shreds of fresh mozzarella.
Even JEFFREY, the child who will gag, asphyxiate and go to bed before he lets a vegetable pass his lips, will eat this soup. Not only will he eat it, but he asks for it. And Abby asks for it almost every day at lunch. MMMM, lycopene!