I was a vegetarian for seventeen years. Yeah, I know- I busted the run right after Bean was born with a parmesan crusted chicken breast that still makes me drool thinking about it. Then last year I had my first steak. Oh lawsy, it was divine. But every once in a while I still get a hankering for some of my old veggie staples, and this is one of my favs.
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- fresh basil leaves, chopped
- one eggplant, cubed or sliced
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced thick
- 1 red or yellow pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 can artichoke hearts packed in water, drained
- 1 zucchini, sliced
Prep all your veggies and steam them (except artichokes) in a basket over boiling water for two minutes. You want them just barely tender so the marinade can seep in and flavor them best. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients and whisk together until emulsified. Pour over the warm vegetables and toss. Add artichoke hearts. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The eggplant and mushrooms will sop in the marinade and change to an almost meaty texture. Serve on a platter with olives, cheese and cold cuts if you like.